Thirteen wonderfully expensive things I got for my birthday this year.
2. This iPad case is handmade in Italy by luxury goods firm Tod’s. They use the finest alligator skin to craft the case and it is available in blue, brown and tan. (Tod’s Alligator Skin Covers – $4,900)
3. Fratelli Basile’s Hebanon furniture evokes the timeless qualities of 18th century furniture while making use of modern craftsmanship. This bed, with its chestnut structure and ash wood canopy, is no exception. The exterior is lacquered, patinated and decorated with 107 kg of 24k gold. The bed also features the finest Italian silk and cotton. (Baldacchino Supreme – $6.3 million)
4. This wasn’t the biggest, or even the most expensive boat, but it will do. I just love the rollout resort. It features a pool with retractable roof, a 75-foot dining table crafted by Viscount Linley and a helicopter. Lady Moura’s most remarkable feature, however, is the beach resort that slides out of one side of the boat. The mini resort features not only sand and deck chairs, but even includes palm trees for a truly authentic resort experience. (Lady Moura – $210 million)
This beach towel by Hermès, that hundred-plus-year-old Parisian design house famous for their printed silk scarves, measures 36″ by 60″ and is made of 100% cotton terrycloth. Hermès currently offers twenty different prints, with some designs available in multiple colors. The design shown above can be purchased in blue or red. Other designs may come in hot pink, orange or yellow.
At $530, you’re not likely to find a more expensive beach towel. Will anyone else on the beach know you’re using such a luxurious towel? Maybe not, but you certainly will.
The Hasselblad H4D-60 is probably the most expensive digital camera in the world. This DSLR camera has an astonishing 60 megapixel 40 x 54 mm sensor. Aided by the Absolute Position Lock processor, Hasselblad’s True Focus system allows the photographer to focus on the composition without constantly fiddling with the focus. The camera has a capture rate of 1.4 seconds per capture and shutter speed ranges from an 800th of a second to 32 seconds.
This pro digital camera costs in excess of $40,000, but that price will also get you membership in the Hasselblad Owners’ Club.
Then, I got hungry…
7. The matsutake, or mattake, mushroom is expensive because of its rarity. While its historical prevalence meant it was nearly synonymous with autumn in Japan, the introduction of an insect that kills the trees under which the mushroom grows has caused a dramatic decrease in the number of matsutake mushrooms. A method for farming the matsutake has yet to be developed, which means the lack of trees from which to harvest these mushrooms naturally is a serious problem for the species. (Matsutake Mushrooms – $1000/pound)
8. This bagel, created by Executive Chef Frank Tujague for New York’s Westin Hotel, is topped with white truffle cream cheese and goji berry infused Riesling jelly with golden leaves. The bagel’s price is justified when you consider that white truffles happen to be the second most expensive food by weight, eclipsed only by caviar. The underground fungus grows only under specific oak trees in Alba, Italy. Their pheromone-like odor is considered to be an aphrodisiac and is the reason dogs and female pigs are used to hunt the precious truffle. (The World’s Most Expensive Bagel – $1000)
9. This absurdly expensive breakfast item consists of a mixture of eggs, lobster and 10 ounces of sevruga caviar (which costs the restaurant $65 per ounce). On the menu next to the expensive omelet there is a challenge that reads, “Norma dares you to expense this.” (The Zillion Dollar Frittata – $1000)
10. While Wagyu cattle are raised both in and outside Japan, the Kobe varietal which is raised specifically in the Hyogo prefecture is the most elite. Employing the most traditional production methods, Kobe beef comes from cows that are allegedly fed only beer and massaged by hand to ensure a tenderness and marbling beyond compare. These dishes can be out of range for the average restaurateur, carrying an unhealthy load of fat and a price tag to match. For your next after-work social, you might try taking your associates to New York City’s Craftsteak, where a full Wagyu rib eye was served up to a private party for $2800.
11. To celebrate the DVD release of Slumdog Millionaire, Bombay Brassiere packed this curry platter full of the most expensive ingredients they could find. Devon crab and white truffle and a half tomato filled with Beluga caviar and dressed with gold leaf are just the start of this lavish dish. A Scottish lobster, also coated with gold, four abalone and four shelled and hollowed quails’ eggs filled with even more caviar round out the dish. (Samundari Khazana, the World’s Most Expensive Curry – $3200)
12. The 12 inch pizza pie is densely packed with an assortment of some of the world’s most expensive food ingredients, such as lobster marinated in cognac, caviar soaked in champagne, sunblush tomato sauce, Scottish smoked salmon, venison medallions, prosciutto, and vintage balsamic vinegar. In addition to all these fine ingredients, it’s topped with a significant amount of edible 24-carat gold flakes. (Domenico Crolla’s “Pizza Royale 007″ – $4200)
13, Colored diamonds can be natural, which are very expensive, and treated, which are more economical. Colored diamonds will definitely add an extra oomph to your piece of jewelry!
Now, if you believe I got all that for my birthday, then I also have some real estate I know you will just love that I’ll make you an excellent deal on:
Yes, the whole bridge, the entrance and exit ramps are included. Contact me when you are ready to discuss payment, I’ll jump into my Bentley and meet you at “Daniel” on the Upper East Side. I hear the Florida Frog Leg and Jerusalem Artichoke Soup and Tai Snapper Ceviche with Cucumber Vinaigrette are just divine. We can begin with sipping a $24 Rose Royale in the lounge.
Let’s do lunch
Got Thirteen things on your mind, share them at: Thursday Thirteen.