Friday, June 10, 2016

Custom Fit Sweaters

I want so badly to lean how to knit a custom fit sweater.

I tried the 30-Day Sweater class, and it became a mess.  I was doing the Set-in-Sleeve cardigan sweater.  I did not know when I started that they were still writing the pattern and instructions as we were doing the class.  There were errors and mistakes and I had to start over a few times.  Then, the only way to ask questions were via a Facebook group.  And sometimes, it took a few days before an answer, that was not always very clear, came.  So, there was a lot of time the knitting just sat.  I finally got the back finished, and this is how it came out.

IMG 6272

In all my years of knitting, I have never ever had a sweater piece come out this lopsided :-( .  And no, blocking won’t fix it!  Even though the pattern instructions said, “your choice of stitch” it isn’t really.  Basically, they’d not tested the pattern enough to know how it would turn out if you used something besides a stockinette stitch.  I was done with it - gave up and went to find another class.

I found one on Craftsy, taught by Amy Herzog, “Sweater Modifications for a Custom Fit”.  Not only did it cost about $50 less, I have already learned 50 times more stuff!  And, Amy is helping with links and input on the places I’m finding confusing.  So its so far, so good.  I’m a lot happier.

This is the gauge swatch I made for the “Sweater Modifications” class.

IMG 6301

My gauge is not the same as the gauge for the class pattern.  But that’s okay.  I’ve got a link from Amy to figure out the armhole shaping, and I’ve got a question to her on the numbers I’m using.  All in all, I’m feeling much better about it.  I think I’m ready to go ahead and cast on the stitches for my sweater back and get started.

1 comment:

Hi :-) Thank you for your time and your interest.